Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Sewing Projects: Om Wall Hanging & Candy Striper Clutch

So, I mentioned in my last entry that my sewing machine is finally back from the shop. So I sat down last night to take it for its inaugural run since being home. It works fine, no skipped stitches except for when the fabric is too thick. And oddly enough, the needle threader works better now even with standard needles which I previously was having trouble threading. I'm not sure if the shop messed with that or not, but I'm not complaining! So to the employee who muttered, "Think it'll run?" to his boss: I hate to say "I told you so!" but... maybe trust that your customers know their machines. :|

Anyway, I banged out two projects today; a wall hanging with the "Om" symbol for a pal of mine who donated some funds to my little Ebay/Etsy ventures and a pink and white ticking stripe clutch with vinyl bottom. Now my eyes are crossing!
  

 

Call me vain... I like to take pictures of stuff I make. Call it Etsy-itis or photogapher's vanity, I suppose! Anyway, my friend wanted yellow linen with the "Om" in red linen that she picked out from my stash of fabrics.  The color isn't right in that photo, it's more of a desaturated, mustardy-yellow and the red is like Paprika-orange. I might over-use food-color analogies!

The clutch is about a foot fall by about 11 inches wide, has a zipper and the same yellow linen for the lining as the "Om" wall hanging. Maybe a bit of an unconventional choice for the lining, but I'm going to keep it instead of posting it on the Etsy page and I LIKE unconventionality for its own sake sometimes. It's not quite aligned right on the sides as you can see - the vinyl isn't quite lined up right. That sometimes happens when I don't attach the zipper in quite the right spot.

I'm in love with that pink ticking stripe fabric. It has a woven canvas-like feel and when interfaced it has a nice sturdy structure. I'm trying to think of other things to do with it, I love it so much. So far I've come up with: an apron, placemats, napkins, a throw pillow for the couch, a headband with a bit of elastic.

As usual, I'm always up for custom orders and requests, skill level allowing. :) 

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment